As a consultant, delivering a great service is very crucial to develop strong reputation and expand business. No one can anticipate what exactly will happen when you deliver such service. With that being said, making some adjustments on what you have promised is normal part of running your business. However, the demands of your clients will now push you to cross the line of great service into a victim of scope creep.
What is a scope creep? A scope creep is a process in which a project grows beyond the originally anticipated size. You should not see scope creep as a cost of your business. Instead, you need to control your business wherein the scope creep should be a non-existing factor.
Steps in effective scope creep management
- Analysis of requirement. You need to start a thorough requirement analysis and take consideration of all essential and important components. You need to understand all your short and long term needs to see how the product addresses issues efficiently and effectively. Remember that the scalability of a product is the compatibility of a tool. So if you do not have the sufficient resources to complete analysis requirements hire professional requirement analysis to help you understand what you really needs.
- Define the scope of your project. Getting your scope will help you understand all specifications being require and details will have better explanation.
- Build a trust. If you are working with an expert developer you need to build a relationship within the framework of trust so you both can find ways on how to discuss the scope creep.
- Be flexible. Start the specification clear and validate similarly before commencement of project to help you minimize the scope creep. Being flexible will help you understand that scope creep is inevitable components that add to scope and results to increase billable hours.
- Become a realistic person. If you and your developers accept the reality of scope creep, it will take a collective effort to manage your scope creep and avoid unhealthy impacts on the long term relationship.
- Educate well your client. Do not hesitate to educate your client if they are less informed about technicalities of their project. Keeping your client well-informed will provide him a good package.
- Provision for the scope creep. Provision for scope creep needs to be evaluated in cost and time to help you arrive at solution that is most current.
- Document all changes. If there are changes happen you need to ask for consent from client before you do any changes in the projects.
- Structure your change request process. Agree upon changes pattern must prior to commencement of project to handle change.
- Always be sure what you are getting into. In your services provided in clients and all the decisions you will make, you need to ensure that what you are getting into at any kind of situation will help you avoid gambling in a projects.
These steps will help you manage and monitor your scope creep and usurp the favorable outcome it offers. This article about scope creep was written by the web development team from London, Lilo. Lilo has built up a reputation as one of the best web design and development teams in the UK. Scope creep is probably one of the biggest pitfalls when it comes to online development. By using Lilo you can avoid web development and look forward to a long term favorable relationship.
Leave a Comment