FOOD

Paramedic: hotdogs are the food that cause the most choking incidents in children

Paramedics reveal food that causes more child choking accidents than any other item – it’s not grapes

  • Australian paramedics reveal foods with highest choking risk for children
  • Hot dogs are very dangerous because they are shaped to block a child’s airway.
  • You can reduce the risk by slicing your sausage lengthwise instead of across.
  • Other high-risk foods include round fruits such as grapes and blueberries

Australian paramedics have revealed which foods pose a greater risk of choking than any other.

Nikki Jurcutz, CEO of parenting organization Tiny Hearts Education, has warned parents across Australia about the dangers of hot dogs for kids and how to prepare them in a safe way.

Nikki said the shape of the hot dog is “perfect plug” into a child’s airway, making it extremely dangerous.

scroll down for video

Australian paramedics reveal hot dogs pose more choking risk than any other food

To reduce the risk of choking, Nikki said hot dogs shouldn't be given to children whole or sliced ​​horizontally into discs (pictured).

Instead, it should be sliced ​​along the length so as not to block the child's airway (pictured).

To reduce the risk of choking, Nikki said hot dogs shouldn’t be given to children whole or sliced ​​horizontally into discs (left). , it must be sliced ​​along its length (right).

“This is the food that causes more suffocation than any other food,” said the mother.

“When it comes to designing the perfect plug for a child’s airway, there is nothing much better than a hot dog,” she said, citing Gary Smith of the Center for Injury Research.

However, Nikki explained that preparing food in certain ways can reduce the risk of choking.

To reduce the risk of choking, Nikki said hot dogs should not be fed whole or sliced ​​horizontally to children.

Instead, it should be sliced ​​along the length so as not to block the child’s airway.

Her followers were very appreciative of the tip.

“Wow, I never thought of that! So smart,” said one woman.

How to make a hot dog:

To reduce the risk of choking, do not feed hot dogs whole or horizontally sliced ​​to children.

Instead, it should be sliced ​​along the length so as not to block the child’s airway.

(Source: tinyheartseducation)

Paramedics previously revealed another dangerous food for babies and children.

Nikki said round foods like grapes are dangerous because they are as big as a child’s esophagus and can completely block the airway.

She explained that reshaping the grapes, such as quartering them or crushing them, can reduce the risk.

Nikki previously issued a warning against small, round pieces of food that she said put children at a higher risk of choking on the food.

Paramedics recommend processing foods such as grapes and blueberries by quartering or crushing them.

Nikki has previously issued a warning against small, round foods she says pose a high risk of children choking on food. It is recommended to process by crushing.

Nikki uploaded a video showing how the shape and size of a small, round piece of food resembles a child’s esophagus.

“Not all foods are created equal. Some foods pose a greater choking hazard than others. Round foods are a greater choking hazard, and this is why.” she captioned the informative video.

Paramedics said the round hood could fit perfectly into the child’s esophagus and completely block the airway.

The solution is to change the shape of the food. This can be changed by quartering or flattening.

“Prevention is key,” Nikki said, explaining that even if genetically modified fruit gets stuck in a child’s airways, there’s still space for oxygen to reach the lungs.

“If your child is choking and the airway is completely blocked, you should give first aid for asphyxiation immediately.”

How to prevent suffocation in children and what to do if a child suffocates

*Fix small round shaped food by splitting it into 4 pieces or crushing it flat

*Do not feed your child whole or horizontally sliced ​​hot dogs. Instead, it should be sliced ​​along the length so as not to block the child’s airway.

* Even if the modified fruit gets stuck in a child’s airways, there is still space for oxygen to reach the lungs

* If the child choked and the airway is completely blocked, choking first aid should be administered immediately

* Do not put your finger in the throat of a choking child. Fingers can push further down the throat.

(Source: tinyheartsfoundation)

About the author

mohammed

Leave a Comment