Svenske Expressen is among the media that claim the Norwegian is about to return to his old club. It is a short-term commitment until the WC.
– I cannot comment on that, says Hareide to the Swedish newspaper.
When asked why he cannot comment on it, Hareide replies as follows:
– I would rather not say anything. Throughout all the years I have had contact with people in Malmö, both coaches and players, that is why I do not want to comment on anything. As I said, it could be misunderstood if I say anything, he replies.
Milos Milojevic was fired in July after the embarrassing exit against Zalgiris in the Champions League qualifiers. Sports manager Andreas Georgson has since led the team.
Hareide confirms his interest to NRK.
– Yes, it has not been decided yet. We’ll see if we can agree during the day, says Hareide to the channel.
– Are you interested?
– Yes, as long as it is a short-term commitment until the WC. If we agree during the day, I’m in.
Hareide took over Malmö in January 2014. He led the club to league gold, and also took Malmö to the group stage in the Champions League.
Hareide took over the Danish national team after two seasons in Malmö. He then returned to Rosenborg in August 2020. Hareide announced in July 2021 that he would retire as coach after the season.
– I’m not going back again. There is a period in my life that is over now. I am happy that I have good health and can use my free time in a positive way, he said in an interview with TV 2 in May this year.
Malmö are struggling in the Allsvenskan this season and are all the way down in 7th place with only 34 points in 21 games. Per Mathias Høgmos Häcken leads the league with 45 points.