Marshall, Texas (KSLA) – According to the National Insurance and Crime Administration, car theft is on the rise in the United States, and the city of Marshall is definitely experiencing it.
According to the Marshall Police Department, seven cars were stolen on the night of December 21st alone.
Car thefts are often opportunistic crimes, officials say. You can also organize bandits to search for specific items. They want anything they can sell, such as car items and car parts.
Here are some tips for making sure your car is in the driveway in the morning.
- I will take my car keys. Do not leave your keys in or on your vehicle. Thieves know the old trick of leaving the keys on the tire. they will find them!
- Close windows and lock all doors when parking
- Park in well-lit areas if possible
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle, especially if it is visible from outside. In fact, any item placed in plain sight can be an invitation to thieves.
- Install audible alarm systems and anti-theft devices. Visible devices such as steering wheel locks, window etchings, and blinking alarm lights may be enough to deter car thieves. They move to cars without such devices.
- Install a vehicle immobilizer to prevent your car from “hot wire”
- Install a tracking system. These devices use electronic transmission technology to help law enforcement locate stolen vehicles.
- If you see someone looking into your car or acting suspiciously, please report it to the police. Be prepared to provide details about the location, vehicle, and what you can observe.
- If your car is stolen, call the police immediately. Find relevant information for your vehicle, including VIN, license plate number, make, model, color, and notable feature details. After submitting the report, call your insurance company.
Copyright 2022 KSLA. all rights reserved.